Tuesday 20 October 2015

American Pop Tarts: Hot Fudge Sundae

OK, I might have a bit of an obsession, because I also bought these Hot Fudge Sundae Pop Tarts from B&M.  In the last few weeks I've tried (& reviewed) Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Confetti Cupcake, and Cookies & Creme; and so like a Monopoly player I felt the overwhelming need to add to my hoard... which embarrassingly now has it's own Pop Tart shelf in my kitchen.


The Hot Fudge Sundae Pop Tarts have the most enticing title to date, and their website describes them as: 
Frosted Hot Fudge Sundae
'With a chocolate crust, smooth vanilla filling, vanilla and fudge icing, and colorful sprinkles, this chompable sundae is a thing of beauty, The good source of calcium and reduced sugar is the cherry on top'

I'm not sure they can extol the virtuousness of these Pop Tarts, because despite having 'reduced sugar' they still have a hyperactive inducing 16g each. However, as we all know sugar tastes damn good- and it keeps me awake and happy- so it doesn't make a difference to me.


The pastry is the same as the Cookies and Creme, and thereby similar in taste to an Oreo/Bourbon biscuit. The filling oozed alluringly once warmed through in the toaster, and was familiarly sweet, which provided a good contrast against the dark borderline bitter cocoa crust.



In fact, it was so similar in taste to the Cookies and Creme flavour I tried a couple of days ago that I don't think I could tell the difference if blindfolded. The only difference from the description should be the fudge flavoured icing, but unfortunately it is indistinguishable and completely lost against the rich chocolate pastry and sugary centre, That's not to say that it's not tasty- because it is. I just think that it's a clever marketing ploy by Kellogg's to attract two different consumer camps, both the 'Hot Fudge Sundae' and the 'Cookies & Creme' fans.

I'm keeping my eye out for something a bit different next time.. like the frosted blueberry, PB & J, and/or Cinnamon Roll Pop Tarts... Mmm... I think I've got an addiction. 

6/10

Simply because I was hoping for a clearer difference in flavour.


No comments:

Post a Comment