Wednesday 9 March 2016

NEW! Cinnamon Oat Crisp Cheerios (Tesco)

I'm one of those people who can eat cereal at any time of the day. I love the stuff ( I even asked for Reese's Puffs for Valentines day if you remember) and so I get particularly excited when us Brits get new varieties. What made Nestle's new release even more special for me is its inclusion of my favourite spice: cinnamon. I love the American apple & cinnamon o-shaped cereal 'Apple Jacks' but I don't buy it very often because: 

a) It's expensive 
b) It's extremely sweet

At £2.50 for a small 350g box, the new Cinnamon Oats Crisp Cheerios is far from the cheapest cereal on the market, but it's still less dear than Apple Jacks. The sugar content is quite high in the new Cheerios at just over 8g per serving, but that's also less than the 12.5g of sugar in the same size serving of Apple Jacks. Yes, I know, that's enough of the American cereal comparison -after all it's the new cheerios we're interested in today. 



"Deliciously crunchy Cinnamon flakes made with whole grain oats & mixed with light and crispy cheerios, developed to help lower cholesterol! Naturally high in fibre, low in saturated fat and containing beta-glucan from oat fibre, Cheerios Cinnamon Oat Crisp can help keep your heart healthy."
The box had a healthy mix of cheerios and crunchy flakes, although the o's seemed to sink to the bottom of my bowl. I chopped up a banana and added it for extra vitamins, and looked forward to tucking in. 


I had noticed the lack of a strong cinnamon scent when I'd opened the bag, and this also translated through to the taste. The cheerios weren't spicy -just the flakes- with a gentle warming flavour that's far less pungent than the Curiously Cinnamon for example. If you've ever had any of Nestle's 'Oats & More' cereal range before, you'll find that the flakes are the same (except for the added spice). Although the anti-sugar campaigners might not be happy with the 8g of sugar per serving, it meant that the flakes were frosted, giving the cinnamon the perfect backdrop to truly shine through. 


There's not much I can say about the o's really because they were just standard cheerios, which had gone slightly mushy at the bottom of the bowl. I did enjoy the combination of textures however, as the flakes had retained their crunchiness, which worked well with the softer cheerios beneath.  

If you're after a strong cinnamony cereal, the new Cinnamon Oat Crisp cereal might not be your bag. I really enjoyed it however, and I'm sure it'll be a cereal that I'll buy again and again -although I'll probably wait until it's on offer!

9/10

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness will my town hurry up and get these already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers Crossed chick! In my local branch they weren't displayed with the rest of the cheerios, instead they were oddly hiding amongst the granola, so they might be worth the extra hunt...

      Delete