Thursday 14 April 2016

NEW! Dark Chocolate & Mango Jaffa Cakes (M&S)

Have you visited a Marks & Spencer food hall in the past week or so? You really should, it's pretty wow. I can't believe that one company can launch so many new lines such a short space of time! The sun might not be blazing where you are (it's not here at least!) but summer has well and truly arrived in M&S. You can't miss their new 'Spirit of Summer' range in their brightly coloured packaging, and there's some truly scrummy looking products to be found. I can't even begin to tell you about all of the temptations I've spotted, but a glance at Kev's Instagram feed will give you a pretty good idea. 



M&S have created some pretty wacky lines this year, but I was enticed by the sound of their new Dark Chocolate & Mango Jaffa Cakes, and at £1 they're not too expensive either. I love a good Jaffa Cake, and I have to admit that I believe Marks & Sparks make the very best. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love for McVities' version, but the dark chocolate covering on M&S' makes them extra special.

On a side note, do you remember Pim's white chocolate and cherry 'jaffa' cakes? I loved them as a child, but no-one seems to to recollect them. Anyway...

The box contained 13 rectangular cakes. and as soon as I unwrapped them from their cellophane I was bowled over by their strong tropical aroma. If the smell was anything to go by, the flavour was going to knock my socks off. 



The bottom was soft, and whilst it wasn't particularly exciting, it was a decent sponge all the same. The chocolate was at the milder end of the dark spectrum, meaning that I could enjoy it (you might already know that I'm a dark chocolate wimp). My only complaint is that it was a very thin coating, making it difficult to peel from the orange-coloured centre. Please tell me I'm not the only one who laboriously pares the chocolate off, before eating the jelly separately? 



The centre was wonderful; it was sweet yet sharp, the perfect contrast against the plain sponge and dark chocolate. The mango was the most prominent flavour, but there were hints of orange in the background, resulting in a tang that danced on my tastebuds. All of the three layers worked in harmony together, and whilst I'm not sure that it beats M&S' original (or indeed Pim's) its a lovely summery new addition. I can't wait to try some of their other new products soon!

9/10

6 comments:

  1. Yum these look really good - I haven't bought these yet (surprising as I've pretty much bought every other item that's spirit of summer in the food hall :|). There's some really good products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is! Anything you highly recommend? Xx

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed both of the popcorn flavours (particularly the Mojito one), pina colada yoghurt, of the desserts I've tried so far the Banana & Dulce de Leche one was pretty good (I love banana though), the summer tartlets, chicken malaguetas. I've got lots of other stuff still in the cupboard but haven't tried it all yet. If you really like lime then you'll probably enjoy the Key Lime & Coconut Cake as well. Things I haven't been as impressed with - don't particularly rate either of the new ice cream flavours that have been brought out, even though they sound tasty they're a plain dairy ice cream base so think quite a lot of the flavour is lost.

      Delete
    3. I'm desperate to try the banana slices, they sound wonderful, but my M&S has been out of stock for days. I also trief to get the new dulce de leche cheesecake too wihtout any luck! The mud pie ice cream is pants? I don't rathe M&S' ice cream really.. they need to get the quality as good as their chocolate range :). Thanks for the advice xx

      Delete
  2. M+S is on my hitlist for the weekend - I think they can't top themselves but they always do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Imagine woking as their taster...

      Delete