Sunday 22 May 2016

NEW! Haribo Frenzy Carnival Edition (WHSmith)


We get through a lot of sweeties in my house. In fact, our impressive sweetie jar takes pride of place on our coffee table in the centre of our living room! It attracts a lot of attention from guest who -like my other half and I- seem impervious to resist the colourful e-number riddled goodies within. My favourites are raspberry mushrooms (Tesco's not ASDAs) whilst my fiancé prefers strawberry laces (specifically the Chewits ones available in Home Bargains) and foam bananas. There's one sweetie manufacturer that we do agree upon however -and that, of course, is Haribo. 

Fortunately we have differing preferences, and whilst he likes their rings and eggs most, I love the little white and black men (oo-er). But, we do get a bit bored from time to time with the selection available in the tangfastics, starmix and super mix, so it's always a welcome surprise when a new variety comes to town. Last year saw the release of the frenzy edition, which included an array of unusual flavours such as: apricot, pineapple, mandarin, grapefruit, passion fruit, watermelon, lime, and pomegranate. I enjoyed the tropical edge that these new fruity flavours provided and was sad to see them disappear towards the end of the year.

Thankfully a new take on the frenzy edition is back this year -with a slightly different selection of flavours. The apricot, watermelon, lime, grapefruit and pineapple are back, but 2016 sees the addition of peach, mango, and banana too. As a fan of all three new fruits I was rather excited by the new carnival! 


And so I was right to be. The new peach hearts remind me of Robinson's peach squash, awaking age old memories of never-ending sunny summer evenings after school. The mango sweets taste like Solero ice lollies; sweet and artificial but admittedly delicious. My favourite however was of course the new (blue!) banana flavoured bear. Banana jelly/jelly sweets aren't easy to come by, and the flavour instantly transported me to back to an odd dessert that my Gran used to regularly make called banana chartreuse (which included banana, cream and lime jelly!).


Although I was keen on these new Haribo sweeties, my other half wasn't convinced. He's a stickler for the original flavours, which I see as a bonus for me as I get to enjoy them all!

8/10



4 comments:

  1. Oh these look fun! My sweetie jar is currently full of percy pigs (my favourites), Harbio super mix and Jelly babies (Ben's favourite)...always looking for new things to add though so shall be seeking these out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Percy pigs are the best! I'm so with you on that. Right you need to head to WHSmith pronto (within the next 20mins) so I don't feel guilty for giving you cravings! ;) xxx

      Delete
  2. Oooh the banana flavour bear sounds epic!! I'm not normally big on jelly sweets but whenever there's anything new I pretty much always end up buying them to try, these sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them too, especially the bear! Xx

      Delete