Monday 13 June 2016

Vanilla Icelandic Skyr (Waitrose)

I'm au fait with the big Skyr pots made by Arla that are available in all of the major supermarkets. I like the thickness of them and find them much more filling than ordinary yogurt, probably thanks to its high protein content. I hadn't come across the other brand who makes Skyr until Laura (A Daisy Chain Dream -please go and visit her blog, she's truly wonderful) mentioned to me how much she loves their vanilla yogurt, which happens to only be available in Waitrose. 



Non-Arla Skyr are proud of the fact that they are the only manufacturers of yogurt made with Original Icelandic Skyr Cultures. They say:
"The art of making Skyr is especially noteworthy. Skyr is made from skimmed milk which is a naturally fat free milk product. When making Skyr a large amount of milk is used but about three to four times more milk is needed to produce one can of skyr than one can of yogurt."
If that sounds particularly wasteful to you (as it did to me when I first read it) then be rest assured in the knowledge that all of their products are made using only 100% carbon-free electricity. It's all about the balance after all. 

The 170g pot was pricier than what I would normally spend at £1.25, but I fancied a little treat and also trusted Laura's sage advice.

I was pleasantly surprised when I lifted the lid and discovered a beautifully thick yogurt speckled with bean seeds. It's a sure fire sign that you're in for a treat when you can see the vanilla before you get the chance to taste it. 



My, oh my. The yogurt was worth the extra expense. So substantial was it that you could stand your spoon in it. So creamy was it that it tasted convincingly sinful -are you sure these are healthy Skyr? The vanilla flavour was quite rightly the star of the show, backed up by just the right amount of sweetness despite its low sugar content of 3.3g per 100g. Scrummy. 

The Skyr vanilla was hands down the best high protein yogurt I have ever tasted. Next time I visit Waitrose I will certainly be picking up a pot or two of their blueberry flavour too.

10/10



5 comments:

  1. i think this brand is only available in london waitrose :'( When i went to Iceland last year i practically lived off this brand, omg its sooooo good! I love the Arla plain one but this brand is on another level, wish it was more mainstream and in bigger pots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can't be, I'm pretty rural (on the Welsh border) and we have the smallest Waitrose I have ever seen.. Have you looked recently?

      Delete
    2. oh brilliant! when i contacted the company recently they said it was only a London thing :) "swiftly finds the nearest waitrose"

      Delete
  2. The Iceland made skyr, the only skyr on the market as Arla brand is a yogurt as is stated on their pots, is available in over 200 Waitrose stores around the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Iceland made skyr, the only skyr on the market as Arla brand is a yogurt as is stated on their pots, is available in over 200 Waitrose stores around the UK.

    ReplyDelete