Tuesday 19 July 2016

Limited Edition Choc Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream (Tesco)

What's the best foodstuff to review on the hottest day of the year? That's a silly question. It's Ice cream of course! Have you joined the hoards who are moaning in typical British style about the one hot & sunny spell we're likely to get? Although... I must admit to whinging when I can't sleep due to the heat either.

Back to the topic in hand. This pint sized pot was released at the beginning of the summer, but I had reservations though about the amalgamation of fruit, chocolate and brownie. If it was banana flavoured instead of raspberry however, I'm sure the tub would have gone straight into my basket.



"Chocolate and raspberry ice creams swirled with a raspberry sauce, chocolate brownie pieces and milk chocolate chunks"


It seemed as if the chocolate and raspberry ice creams took up exactly half of the tub each (in the same format as Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra and Blondie Brownie ice creams) but as I dug on down, I realised that there was the usual hodgepodge dollops of each flavour. The firmness meant that it was quite difficult to scoop straight from the freezer, but with a bit of willpower and determination I managed to retrieve a decent portion (much larger than the paltry 64g suggested serving I might add). 


The ice creams weren't anything to shout about I'm afraid, as they lacked the creamy, luxurious quality of most pint size tubs (such as Ben & Jerrys and Haagen-Dazs). The chocolate flavour was better than the ALDI chocolate brownie sticks -but only marginally so- whilst the raspberry was rather nondescript. My favourite part was the sauce which administered a welcome boost of zing and broke up the sweetness nicely. The chunks were in abundance, although I thought the chocolate chips tasted rather more like plain cooking chocolate than the milk variety. Luckily the brownie chunks were soft and moist, and added an extra textural dimension to please my disappointed palate. 

I think this ice cream is better of given to the children, perhaps they won't mind the lack of depth to its flavour!

6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment