Monday 4 July 2016

NEW! Moser Roth Rhubarb & Strawberry White Chocolate (ALDI)

Rhubarb and strawberry is a combination that is utterly underrated in the UK. In fact I hadn't really come across it until I was in hospital a couple of years ago and was served a steaming bowl of rhubarb and strawberry crumble with custard. I could've cried with delight at how good it tasted. Admittedly that might have been down to the fact that NHS grub is normally pretty damn awful, but I have made said dessert from scratch on many an occasion since -and still love it. 

It was this connection with the flavour combo that made me jump for joy when I spotted this new white chocolate bar in ALDI. The vows I had made to not buy any more food until I'd got through at least some of my recent snack hauls were instantly forgotten, and into my basket it went. The 100g bar cost 99p, and for your information there is also a forest fruits version.



As soon as I unwrapped the foil I was greeted with the strong scent of freeze dried strawberries. The bar snapped easily and I noticed that it was starting to melt slightly. 


Oh. What a disappointment! The chocolate was chalky and cheap tasting -worlds apart from the glorious Madagascan Vanilla Moser Roth bar. To make matters worse, the strawberry that I could smell totally overpowered any hints of rhubarb, that may or may not have been there. I expected there to be some balance of sweetness but instead the chocolate was super-sweet and very sickly. Gah. 

The bar was edible, but nowhere near as good as I've experienced previously with Moser Roth chocolate. I certainly won't buy it again.

4/10

5 comments:

  1. Such a shame that this wasn't very good - I've literally just posted up a review of a NelleUlla White Chocolate Rhubarb & Strawberry bar today, thankfully it wasn't too sickly sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jealously heading over to your blog.... ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just reviewed this myself and couldn't agree more. That chalky feeling was awful and not like anything is felt before.

    ReplyDelete