Monday 16 January 2017

Jude's Salted Caramel Ice Cream Review (Sainsbury's)

Do you remember my first Jude's ice cream review a couple of months ago? If not I'll give you a swift recap...

Their peanut butter and chocolate ripple ice cream thoroughly impressed me, not only because it managed to challenge my aversion towards nuts in ice cream, but because it was damn good quality and the company donate 10% of their profits to charity. I favour the idea that I'm doing good somewhere in the world whilst scoffing my face with delicious ice cream -especially when it's peanut butter flavoured. I felt that the only down-side was the relatively high price point, but also mentioned that it's worth it for a treat every now and then. 

The next Jude's ice cream to call to me in Sainsbury's was their salted caramel. It was a risky choice to buy this flavour though because Bert also loves salted caramel and so I knew I'd have to share the tub. 


"Tuck into this trusty, tasty caramel with a mischievous sea salt twist."

What I hadn't mentioned before is the surprisingly scarce ingredients list in Jude's ice cream of items that you can actually pronounce -let alone understand. Take this flavour for example, each tub contains simply: 
Fresh Whole Milk, Fresh Double Cream, Caramel (13%) (Whole Milk, Sugar, Skimmed Milk Powder, Caramelised Sugar), Sugar, Skimmed Milk Powder, Pasteurised Free Range Egg Yolk, Stabilisers: Locust Bean Gum and Guar Gum, & Salt.
Isn't that refreshing?


This deep gold coloured ice cream had an equally pleasing texture as the peanut butter flavour. It resisted the urge to melt away rapidly, yet was instantly soft enough to enable me to scoop easily. 

Given that milk and double cream are the primary ingredients it's not entirely shocking that the ice cream tasted utterly indulgent with an unparalleled smoothness. I loved the addition of peanuts in the other tub, but also relished the velveteen qualities of this salted caramel. As for the flavour of the caramel, it was butterscotchy and had enough salinity to warrant its 'salted' title, successfully bringing the taste back from sickly realms. 

I think I might've had my best dessert brainwave yet thanks to the Jude's Salted Caramel. Remember the Twix Cookies review last week? Recall me saying I was going to enjoy one warm with salted caramel ice cream? Well, I chose Jude's to have it with. Need I say more?


9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment