Sunday 1 November 2015

Meridian Peanut & Banana Bar

Ive had a love affair with Meridian's almond butter for a few years now, but I didn't realise until recently (when I started following them on Twitter) that they've extended their range to include energy bars. I've been keeping an eager eye out, hoping to spot them, when I had a mini-brainwave and thought to try Holland & Barrett. I finally found all of their new bars: Peanut, Almond, Peanut & Berry and the one I really wanted to try- peanut & banana. Peanut Butter and Banana Toasties are one of my favourite lunchtime concoctions, and so I had high hopes for this bar.


The packaging proudly boasts that it contains 48% nuts and 7g of protein. They're also dairy, gluten and soy free as well as being suitable for Vegans. When I unwrapped the bar I had an instant flashback to the Peanut Butter Clif Bar and my hopes sunk. It was more regularly shaped than the Clif bar, but it was a similarly dense, sticky brown mass. 


I hoped that it would taste better than it looked, and when I took my first mouthful I was greeted with a lovely natural banana flavour followed by the same odd Clif aftertaste. It must be the rice syrup because it also ranked highly in the ingredients list of this Meridian bar. Either way, it's a flavour I'm really not keen on. I wished they would use honey instead, but I guess that would prevent it from being Vegan friendly. The other thing I noticed with the bar was that I could barely taste the peanuts, despite it claiming to be almost half nuts in consistency! 

As you can gather, I wasn't fussed on these bars. They're probably a really good Vegan choice but in future when I'm after a banana flavoured energy boost I'll be opting for the Banana Brunch bars instead.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment