Wednesday 13 April 2016

NEW! Afternoon Tea Delights (ASDA)

Do you remember my review of ASDA's new Honey Teaser pots a few weeks ago? Well as sods law would have it, a couple of days later the supermarket put their entire new dessert range on offer. I'll admit that I sulked a little, but I returned to my local ASDA yesterday hoping to buy their new Rhubarb Jumbles. But, alas! They'd sold out. Instead I spotted their Afternoon Tea Delights (currently £1.50 for two), which sounded delightfully British, and right up my fiance's street.


"My word! Clotted cream mousse, strawberry compote and scrummy scone pieces... all in a pot? Why ever not!"

As with the Honey Teasers, the Afternoon Tea Delights were contained in a clear pot which meant that you could see the three distinct layers.




The top layer was the clotted cream mousse, which it's fair to say ASDA nailed. It had the rich luxuriousness taste of clotted cream, but without the heaviness. I love the taste of clotted cream but hate the texture of it (I find it cloying) so this was the perfect solution for me.

The scone pieces in the middle of the dessert were sweet and fluffy. They had retained their texture well, and hadn't gone stale nor fallen apart. The textural juxtaposition worked exceedingly well, and the combination truly tasted like cream tea.

At the bottom was the strawberry layer. It was fairly runny -in true compote style- but had enough density to prevent it from dripping off the spoon. The compote was well balanced between sweet and tart, and was the perfect ending to a wonderful dessert.



My only qualm with the Afternoon Tea Delights is the ratio of the layers. Whilst the mousse makes up 58% of the dessert, the compote accounts for 30%, meaning that only 12% of the pot's contents comes from scone pieces. Surely the scone should be the star of the show? I think that the dessert would benefit from an even amount of all three layers, and it would be better still if there were six layers in total!

9/10



5 comments:

  1. SO adding these to my next Asda delivery along with the rhubarb ones. Yum yum yum! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob went back to re-buy the afternoon tea ones today he loved them so much! I got the Rhubarb ones at long last today too :) xxx

      Delete
  2. Sounds absolutely lovely and such an interesting idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you think so too! Have you tried any of the new ASDA desserts yet?

      Delete
    2. Not yet but think I'll have to give them a go as £l.50 is pretty reasonable. This clotted cream and scone one will have to be my first choice as it combines two of my favourite treats

      Delete