Monday 24 April 2017

NEW! Proper Powders Mint Chocolate Whey Protein (Online)

A few weeks ago I was approached by a brand new protein powder company who asked me if I'd like to review their products. Proper Powders pride themselves on only making protein powders made with natural ingredients, using ingredients you can read and understand, so of course I accepted. At the moment they only make and sell whey, but there are plans in the pipeline to increase the range as the company develops. Proper Powders' whey is currently available in four flavours: banana, strawberry, mint chocolate and unflavoured (designed so that you can add your own flavourings). I opted for the most unusual and chose mint chocolate. 


I love Proper Powders' packaging design, which embodies everything the company is aiming to portray, i.e It's clean and simple. The second thing I noticed was the large serving size, so I took a look at the macros -after all that's why many of us buy and use protein. 


That means that per 100g, Proper Powders' Mint Chocolate Whey Protein contains: P:48.9/C:20/F:6.6. Compared to Reflex's Instant Whey Pro (P:80/C:6.4/F:4.5 per 100g) It's considerably lower on protein content, the carbs are much higher, and the fat content is higher too. It's not an issue for me as I use protein to supplement my (non low-carb) diet, and I'd rather have something that tastes good, but it's worth baring in mind.

As soon as I opened the bag I was greeted with the delicious scent of both chocolate and mint . As a shake it tastes delicious, reminding me of a cold mint flavoured options. Be warned though, it does take a lot of mixing to get the clumps out (I used an electric whisk). 

I tried Proper Powders with a couple of recipes as I prefer to eat, rather than drink, my whey. I first tried the classic Beltsander recipe, but as with many of the wheys I've tried before it, the resulting cake was dry and cardboard-like. It does however work really well in porridge, and isn't the slightest bit grainy, hurrah!


Not one to give up, Last night I made a slightly different mug cake using coconut flour and egg whites, which I served warm with Oppo mint chocolate swirl ice cream. Now that, ladies and gentlemen, was delicious.


Proper Powders whey is ideal for those who don't like putting unpronounceable products into their bodies. The mint chocolate whey simply contains: Whey Concentrate, Skimmed milk, maltodextrin, Cocoa, Xylitol, & natural flavouring. The 900g bags contain 20 servings and are currently available for just £22.00 (normally £27.00) direct from their website.

8/10 

A huge thank you to Proper Powders for the sample! 



2 comments:

  1. Do you get some benefit % by promoting Fitness industry crap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not. As per my disclaimer, I always acknowledge when something has been sent to me to try, and always write honest reviews. I never receive payment for them. If these style posts do not appeal to you, I suggest that you refrain from reading them.

      Delete