Tuesday 1 August 2017

White Chocolate & Cardamom, Mint Chocolate & Sticky Salted Toffee Goupies (Online)

A good few weeks ago I was asked if I would like to try some Goupie. 

Q: Goupie? What on earth is Goupie? 
A: A devilishly moreish chewy chocolate
confection with a hint of crunch.

Oh, clear as mud then. Still, I love chocolate, have an unrelenting sweet tooth and found out that they're a British family business. It sounded great to me... even if I wasn't entirely sure what would turn up. 

Goupie's product selection is large, including many gluten free options and some of which are vegan too. Marketing manager Grace (daughter of owners Janet and Joe) asked me which flavours I'd like to try, but I just replied with the couple that didn't sound quite as appealing and looked forward to seeing what would turn up.

Not just one, but three flavours of Goupie arrived shortly after. Goupie you spoil me! I just had to open them all up in quick succession to discover what the confections where all about...! 

Chocolate Mint Goupie


"This flavour is the natural favourite of any mint chocolate lover. A beautiful fresh peppermint flavour amongst the chewy Goupie goodness and fully enrobed in a 54% Belgian chocolate. It’s dairy free and completely vegan friendly. A great gift to share amongst friends after dinner…if you don’t eat it first!"

This sharing sized (180g) box contained a good supply of dark coated covered tiffin-esque triangles. The ingredients included chocolate, biscuit, and rice crispies. That's got to be a good sign, right? 

Wowzer. I wasn't expecting that. The flavours were spot on. Now if you're a regular reader you'll know that I'm more of a milk & white chocolate fan, so 55% is high for me, but this was far from bitter. The chocolate and mint reminded me of After Eight mints, whilst the crunchy yet crumbly texture was both interesting and comforting. Seriously moreish.

9/10

White Chocolate Cardamom


"Sweet, exotic and pure class. Often confused with a light gingerbread, the cardamom in the base nicely balances the rich white chocolate topping."

Hmm. Cardamom can be utterly overbearing. In fact I once remember Buying a prawn curry from M&S that was inedible due to the littering of cardamom pods. Could Goupie manage to avoid the pitfall? 

Yes, they really could. I really enjoyed the dark chocolate mint, but these were something else. They were sweet but spicy too, with the gingery undertone they mentioned throughout. The white chocolate was good quality too, and I revelled in the unusualness of this delicious snack. Top marks from me.

10/10

Salted Sticky Toffee

"The ultimate in devilish treats – Salted Sticky Toffee Goupie is an uber gooey chocolate confection, topped with flakes of Maldon Sea Salt."

This Goupie was gluten free and therefore wasn't a biscuity concoction like the other two. I expected a tooth-pulling, filing-ruining jaw workout, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Of course, a fundamental element of the sticky toffee pudding is dates, and thats where Goupie have been smart. Sticky toffee is so often used as a synonym for caramel, but these were a true representation of the classic dessert. Encased within the milk chocolate was a delectable combination of soft toffee and fruity dates, meaning that it refrained from being too sickly. Another bonus came from the sea salt crystals on top, which boosted the flavours from the contrast of salty-sweet. Genius. As a bonus, this flavour is dairy-free and vegan to boot. 

9/10

I can now comprehend why it's difficult for Goupie to explain exactly what it is that they're selling, for their brand encompasses a selection of innovative sweet treats that are completely different to anything I've tried before. They're innovative, creative and delicious -what's not to love? 

Please pop over to Goupie's website where you'll find other delicious sounding Goupies including lemon meringue, cherry Almond and espresso Goupies as well as chocolate and orange discs. You can get 15% off with the code gbg15 too. Nom. 

Thanks to Goupie for the samples! 

1 comment:

  1. I've seen these pop up at a few places online and they sound fab! They'll definitely be on my 'try' list for when I return to the UK in January! I particularly like that the Sticky Toffee ones haven't been dosed in caramel but proper dates are used. (There's really no need to mess with the joy that is Sticky Toffee!)

    ReplyDelete